what's-her-lips

Saturday, July 01, 2006

Jazz Fest - 4 down, 2 to go

I'd been looking forward to this night for some time now and not just because it was exactly 15 years ago (that day) that my Greyhound bus first rolled into Vancouver after 31 hours on the road. (Look out Vancouver cuz here I am and I ain't never leavin'!) (sorry, just rewatched The Thing Called Love)

First off was a dinner out with My Very Best Friend (who I've known for 10 years this summer). It's a treasured and all too rare occurrence to have a night out with just the two of us. Incidentally - the Peter Lehmann Cabernet-Merlot-Shiraz is really lovely. Normally I'm not much of a fan of blends but this was really nice.



On to the shows! The opening act was a local group - New Orleans North - the type of band that has you smiling from the first note. This quartet of cornet, clarinet, drums and piano where completely charming and, as my friend said, cheeky. To me, nothing says New Orleans jazz like the sound of a clarinet. Their music was such a beautiful tribute to New Orleans, they were just the perfect appetizer to the main act - The Preservation Hall Jazz Band.



I had seen Preservation Hall when they were in town two years ago and I knew at the time if they ever returned I would need to see them again. This band had such an amazing presence and energy - which is especially impressive considering I think their average age is about 70. It felt like the crowd would have been perfectly willing to give them a standing ovation after each and every song (had this not been in Vancouver where apparently we even need permission to clap along to the music). They didn't let us get away with being passive though - they demanded interaction. I must admit, I'm not much of an applauder after solos because I want to hear what's coming next, but even I was cheering loudly after every one. Well, you couldn't help but cheer for that drummer. Talk about cheeky. I had already commented to my friend that I wasn't really all that impressed with the drum solo during New Orleans North's set so when this Preservation Hall guy did his thing it was like he was inadvertantly saying "THIS, my friends, is how it's done". Basically this show lived up to my expectations as I knew it would. Save for one little odd...I shudder thinking about it. I wish I could convey to you exactly what it was like to watch their guest singer. This guy was in his early to mid 20s and he really just did not fit in. His singing was fine, if not a little uncreative, but man oh man he was intense. I thought he may go into a seizure at any minute. The only saving grace was that he only came out for two songs. I'm hoping my friend comments on this - maybe she can describe the experience a bit better. To end the show, after parading up and down the aisles collecting audience members in a parade that led onto the stage, they played the most heartbreaking rendition of "Do you know what it means to miss New Orleans" which has of course now taken on a haunting new meaning.

My evening was not yet over though. After dropping my friend off at home I scooted over to O'Douls (my new home away from home) where another friend of mine (the very same one I keep meeting at O'Douls of course) was holding a table for us. Every year I always have to catch a bit of Kate Hammett-Vaughn and this year was not going to be an exception. I sometimes forget how much I enjoy watching her sing. She so obviously LOVES what she does and it shines through her and you can most definitely hear it in her voice.



Once her set was done I ordered me a Black Plague Stout and settled in for the jam. There were the usual treats of getting to hear young Mr. Morgan Childs, Bill Coon and Brad Turner, in addition to what has become one of my favourite things about this year's festival - getting to hear Adam Thomas (who is normally a bassist) sing. What an incredible and soothing voice. I could listen to him all night. He wasn't the only one to get up and sing though. I have finally (FINALLY) seen Denzel Sinclaire sing. Can you believe I hadn't? He is absolutely.... He was just.... well, he took my breath away. Just when I think this year couldn't get any better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home