what's-her-lips

Sunday, October 01, 2006

Sad Excuse for a Blogger

I realize I'm hardly living up to my purpose for keeping this blog if I don't actually pre/re-view shows. The sad part is that it's not like I haven't had things to write about. This summer has been rather amazing for shows, music & film. Here's a sampling of what I didn't write about:
Little Miss Sunshine - I laughed so hard I lost my voice
Agnostic Mountain Gospel Choir - fabulous if you like appalachian music
Mission Folk Fest - very very hot but worth it for the great music
Portobello West - has potential
Prairie Home Companion - very sweet for those into the genre

But it took going to see Hawksley Workman to bring me back. First a bit of history...
I first saw the beautiful man a couple of years ago when a friend called up to say he had an extra ticket and asked if I would like to go. I had heard of Hawksley but hadn't heard him, but I hadn't seen my friend in ages so I said okay. I think went internet-spelunking and found the video for Jealous of Your Cigarette and was stunned and the live show lived up. A couple of weeks ago when another friend asked if I wan't to go see Hawksley I just couldn't decline.

I must admit I liked the intimacy of the previous show at Richards on Richards as opposed to this show at the Commodore. The smaller venue lends itself a bit better to his intimate personality. My friend and I both agree he seemed a bit off, but "off" for Hawksley is still pretty amazing. He played all of my favourites and I rather enjoyed the mid-song interlude of Pinball Wizard. I'm only sad that my allergy meds knocked me on my ass, forcing me to leave before the 3 encores. But if a gal is gonna wear her feather boa then she's gotta takes the meds. And really, if I can't wear a boa to see Hawksley, what's the point of having one?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home